Tuesday, September 29

an orange quilt

A friend of mine moved a few weeks ago. I wanted to make her a going away present to tell her how awesome she is and how much I will miss her but of course I am running behind just like all my handmade gifts. I have never met anyone who loves Halloween like my friend, Jen, so of course she loves the color orange too (me too, such a great color). Thus, an orange quilt was born.
orange quilt

I quilted it with irregularly spaced straight(ish!) horizontal lines. I really enjoyed quilting like this and just look how crinkly!
orange quilt
orange quilt

I purposely didn't buy enough of one fabric for the backing so I would have to try out something fun on the back.
orange quilt
I know not super crazy back there but it felt good to be brave.

orange quilt

Pattern: inspired by this quilt (p.s. I really want to do a rainbow one like that one). The orange stripes are either 2, 2.5 or 3 inches in width and all various lengths. After arranging them, the white was filled in.

Size: 36" x 52"

orange quilt

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! You never cease to amaze me with your talent!

nicole said...

LOOOOOOVE it. i am a sucker for orange and the striped quilting is something even i can do. i always say this, but i SO wish we could craft together.

Andrea said...

Awesome quilt! I like the straight line quilting too. I've been trying to come up with ideas for my quilts I'm making, since I've never done free motion quilting, and this might be the solution. Thanks!

Kristin Finch said...

So great! I love it! I am so inspired and I also love love love the rainbow one too!

Natalie said...

This quilt is beautiful. What a lucky friend.

Rima said...

Wow. It is beautiful! Do you really KNOW how beautiful it is? Orange, orange.

Barb said...

I'm loving the orange quilt. Orange is one of my favorites to work with.

Deanne said...

You are awesome!!

Shorty said...

Gorgeous! I love it!!! As usual, you've done an amazing job on your project. Very inspirational...

Donna said...

This is amazing - orange is my favourite colour!! Just love the fabrics you've chosen and it makes me happy. New to your blog (reader recommended it based on my other subscriptions - thanks, google!)

*krystyn* said...

What a gorgeous quilt!!! I love orange too AND I'm a brand new quilter, so of course I'm wanting to make one like everything I see out there. I especially like this one!! Was it hard to find so many primarily orange fabrics? They are great!!